Friday, February 4, 2011

Keeping it Casual Weddings - Catered or Pitch In

I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that we had an outdoor wedding on my Uncle's farm. The other thing that we opted for was for a big picnic afterwords. With the wedding being outside and there being lots of green space, which was also near the house, a picnic was a perfect option for us. Guests could stay and mingle and not have to drive to another location, which was a big plus for everyone, as our wedding was also out of state for us and for most of our guests.

Being a young couple, we didn't even really consider a caterer. Also, since we were into a casual feel, we just wanted a big outdoor family picnic. My mom, sister, aunts, and cousins pitched in the day before, and made a slew of dishes. A special thank you goes out to all of them for getting the supplies, cooking, etc.; bless you. The night before, I actually did the lawn mowing so that the grass was nice and trim.

If you are opting for a caterer, there are many more options now than there were then. Check out different listings, and ask friends and family for referrals. Caterers can do a great job for casual affairs too.

My aunt was able to arrange for tables and seating from a local church. Do plan for seating and a place to put the food.

If the weather is a concern, you can also opt for canopies or tents. My mother was somewhat concerned about what the weather would be, and kept asking me what we were going to do if it rained. I answered, then we'll get married in the rain. However, Mother Nature cooperated with us, and we had a beautiful day.

All in all, your wedding is about what you and your fiancee want, what your budget is, and what kind of options are available to you. May reading about my experience give you the inspiration to have the kind of wedding that you want.

Afterwards my aunt told me that she wished she had thought of getting an arch for us. It would have added a nice touch. They are actually pretty reasonable.




Cheryl Paton
Browse wedding by CherylsArt at Zazzle.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment